Thursday, December 14, 2006

The Onion and The Kimchi

I read the OhMyNews website with interest as I parallel its readings with a parody and satirical news website, The Onion - at www.theonion.com.

The Onion is a parody newspaper published weekly in print and online. It features articles on international, national and entertainment issues written with a twist and wry humour. If I remember correctly, the website more than decade old or older and portrays a different way on how issues are approached and written about.
Although The Onion does not accept freelance contributions, I find that it is an avenue to express different thoughts and approaches that traditional media miss out or are barred from doing.
OhMyNews gives that chance to ordinary citizens to post news in possible angle that journalists may not see or not approach due to certain restrictions.
I just want to say that this form of avenue existed way before the trend of Internet caught on, perhaps it is my rather naive way of viewing this issue and how people use the Web to express their thought and ideas, but I felt that what is happening now has always been taking place.
It is just the speed of which things are unfolding that has caught us (or some of us) unprepared. We should not be surprised at how coverages have developed or how new mediums have erupted form underneath us. I find myself catching my breath in trying to keep up with latest in news reporting at least and it overwhelms me. How do we cope, I wonder. Constant learning and constant exchanges. As long as we do not lose sight of our roles as journalists, writers and messengers, we should be on the right path, at least from my point of view.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home